"The Boss" by Abigail Barnette -- A Book Review

The Boss - Abigail Barnette

I got this book as a freebie on Amazon. It is the first book I've read by the author. (FYI, Abigail Barnette is the penname for Jenny Trout if you didn't know.) I'll admit before picking it up I didn't know too, too much about The Boos series. I did know that it was highly compared to the Fifty Shades series(with more praise going toward The Boss series and deservedly so.) The Boss follows Sophie Scaife and Neil Elwood, with more emphasis on Scaife than Elwood. The series opens with them meeting each other some years after they'd had a one-night-stand together. Shortly afterward, they decide to start re-start(or rather start) their romance up.

I did like a lot of things about this series. I like the characters were individuals and that we were following the romance of a couple who didn't necessarily yet know if they wanted the "white Pickett fence, 2.5 kids, and chocolate lab" ideal for themselves as individuals. That was refreshing to follow someone who was still trying to figure out what they wanted or didn't want. I also liked that Sophie was a bit more career focused. She did care about Neil and he was important to her but he job also mattered to her, and it was interesting to watch her learn how to juggle that or try to.

This book is ridiculously funny, and given that most of the BDSM romances I've come across aren't, that was amazingly refreshing. Sophie can be awkward sometimes and Neil can be so sarcastic; it was so great. I had to literally hold myself together to keep from laughing a lot of the times.

The sex scenes were sexy and seemed a lot safer and caring than I've seen with other BDSM novels. (There was even mentions and involvement of aftercare, which is super important).

Other than that, I did like this. Word of warning though, Sophie is younger than Neil. She's in her mid-twenties I think and I think Neil is in his forties. I know for some that age difference isn't a big deal or they don't care but I know with some that's a "NO" no if's, and's, or but's about it. I can respect that.

But yes, all in all, great book and I CAN NOT wait to read the others in the series.