"Half of A Yellow Sun" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Half of a Yellow Sun - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Triggers: death tw, violence tw, murder tw, depression tw, blood tw, rape tw

Okay, so, this novel was good. However, I want to stress that a lot of things I listed as triggers are described in detail. So, caution.

So, this isn't my first novel by this author, and I found out about through the other novel I read by her (Purple Hibiscus). I will say this one is written just as equally well. However, it's different because it's a lot more graphic than that, and so, sometimes even I found scenes hard to read and get through. And I feel like the author did that because this novel was set during a war in the 1960's. I don't think it was done for "shock value" or just for the sake of doing it. I think it was done because it was war and the author wanted to really show that cruelty and the conditions.

Another thing that was reoccurring with that was the fact that the author did talk about racism and the effects of colonialism. I felt the author did a good job with that as well. And whether it was a character realizing that all of what happened was their own story to tell or if it was the reverse (i.e., a character realizing that something wasn't their place to talk about or really speak on).

The characters were very diverse and we just weren't looking at one person's point of view. We saw what was happening from different people though they did all know each other. I do like that the conflicts they faced were internal or personal ones (that weren't started from the war. In fact, happened before the war but those feelings carried over into that time) as well the personal struggles that the war created. I felt that made them more rounded out.

All in all, it was a good book. I'm glad I picked it up. It was emotional and rough in places. But I am so glad that I read it. And Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is quickly becoming a favorite of mine.